10.02.2009

scalloped potatoes (and hot dogs)


My boyfriend and I went to Wisconsin a couple of weeks ago. On the way back we stopped in Shullsburg to load up on cheese. I picked out (among others, of course) a smoked sharp cheddar and have had cheese belly ever since. So I made this scalloped potatoes recipe to try and use up some of it. After pulling it out of the oven and letting it cool, I anxiously bit into it.... and all I could taste was hot dogs. You see, my dad used to make dinner sometimes and it would generally be a box of scalloped potatoes with some sort of chopped up meat- hot dogs, ham, turkey ham, etc. And while I love my dad for trying, it seems to have ruined this meal for me.

Anyway, you'll probably have a different experience. Matt tried it and vouched for it not actually tasting like hot dogs. So if you're not a Runchey child, you'll probably like this.

p.s. - the dressing on the salad is whole mustard, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil. I'm pretty into it lately.

2 comments:

Liz said...

You're not the only one who associates childhood memories with scalloped potatoes... my husband does too and won't go near my delicious scalloped because of being force fed them when he was little. Aww ... poor scalloped potatoes. No love.

Sarah said...

I don't think I've had scalloped potatoes since Dad's. I'm kind of afraid of them..