1.29.2010

smoked gouda macaroni & cheese


Can I give up? On this winter thing? My body seems to already have- my skin is so dry it actually cracks at times (painful), my mouth will randomly bleed when I smile (frightening), and my scalp... well, it's gross.

This is the time of year where I could care less about eating more vegetables and would much prefer to shove as many carbs and cheeses in my face as I can. Preferably at the same time so I can save my precious hibernation-fighting energy. Enter Smoked Gouda Macaroni & Cheese. The happy medium between comfort food and not feeling guilty while eating it. The addition of spinach makes it so much easier to eat four portions and somehow make it reasonable.

smoked gouda macaroni & cheese (via Cooking Light)

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/4 cups)

Ingredients

  • 1 (1-ounce) slice whole wheat bread
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups fat-free milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded smoked Gouda cheese
  • 1/3 cup (about 1 1/2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
  • 5 cups coarsely chopped fresh spinach
  • 4 cups hot cooked elbow macaroni (about 2 cups uncooked)
  • Cooking spray

Preparation

Preheat oven to 350°.

Place bread in a food processor, and pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs measure 1/2 cup.

Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and garlic; cook 1 minute. Add flour; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk, salt, and pepper, stirring constantly with a whisk until blended. Bring to a boil; cook until thick (about 2 minutes). Add cheeses; stir until melted.

Add spinach and macaroni to cheese sauce, stirring until well blended. Spoon mixture into a 2-quart baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until bubbly.

No comments: