3.04.2009

parmesan-herb biscuits


I've had this page from February's Bon Appetit dog-eared since I got it. Yesterday I couldn't put it off any longer. I finally made the parmesan-herb biscuits, and they were... ok. I think next time I'd try using at least one fresh herb? Maybe use the nonfat milk powder they say? That being said, I still have eaten them for supper last night, as the bread in an egg sandwich this morning, and dipped another one (ok, two) in my soup for lunch. So maybe I was just disappointed because I'd built them up and really they're actually pretty good.

Parmesan-Herb Biscuits
from Bon Appetit

2 c all purpose flour
6 T nonfat dry milk powder (I used buttermilk powder, because it sounded yummier)
1/4 c finely grated Parmesan cheese
2 t baking powder
1 t salt
1 t dried thyme
1 t dried parsley
1 t dried tarragon
1 t dried basil
1/2 c (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
3/4 cup (or more) ice water

Preheat oven to 400. Whisk first 9 ingredients in large bowl to blend. Add butter and cut in with fingertips until very coarse meal forms. Gradually add 3/4 c ice water, tossing until moist clumps form and adding 1 or 2 T more water if needed to form slightly sticky dough.
Gather dough into ball. Sprinkle work surface with flour. Using floured hands, press dough into 6-inch square. Cut dough into nine 2-inch square biscuits. Arrange biscuits with sides touching on ungreased baking sheet.

Bake biscuits until golden brown, about 30 min. Separate biscuits slightly and cool 15 minutes. Serve warm or at room temp.

No comments: