2.02.2010

barley and lentil soup with swiss chard

Eating nothing but chocolate chip banana pancakes and donuts (bought to eat while cooking the pancakes, naturally) for an entire day can make a person feel a little gross. Do not get me wrong! I have no regrets! But however pleased my past child self was with my awesome use of adulthood privileges, my rapidly aging, dare I say crotchety, stomach was anything but thrilled by Monday morning. So yesterday was a little bit of a sugar detox... well, right after eating that giant rice crispy bar left at my house... and that leftover donut.

But you get my point- my body was craving vegetables and lots of them. So I went for a long walk (also needed) to the library to return Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters (RIP Salinger) and then over to  Stanley's Fruits & Vegetables. There I picked up a large load of fruits and veggies and trudged them back home to make a hearty stew to sooth my bitchy sensitive stomach.

Barley and Lentil Soup with Swiss Chard  
Bon Appétit | February 2005
 
Yield: Makes 10 first-course or 6 main-course servings
 
ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped onions
1 1/2 cups chopped peeled carrots
3 large garlic cloves, minced
2 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
10 cups (or more) low-salt chicken or vegetable broth
2/3 cup pearl barley
1 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
2/3 cup dried lentils

4 cups (packed) coarsely chopped Swiss chard (about 1/2 large bunch)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
preparation
Heat oil in heavy large nonreactive pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and carrots; sauté until onions are golden brown, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and stir 1 minute. Mix in cumin; stir 30 seconds. Add 10 cups broth and barley; bring to boil. Reduce heat; partially cover and simmer 25 minutes. Stir in tomatoes with juice and lentils; cover and simmer until barley and lentils are tender, about 30 minutes.
Add chard to soup; cover and simmer until chard is tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in dill. Season soup with salt and pepper. Thin with more broth, if desired.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Everything sounds good but the chard. Do you really like it?

mary-claire said...

You couldn't really taste it that much, so it was alright in there. The whole thing turned out pretty great!