6.13.2011

tuna + white bean salad

Turns out I was getting sick. I guess in a way it's a good thing, at least I wasn't just being lazy. Going to that Prince vs. Michael dance party Saturday night probably wasn't the best idea. But come on, how could I not? But now all I want to do is whimper and hug something while they tell me a story. Yes, yes I am being a baby about this. Let's move on.


Before any of this went down I made an amazing tuna and white bean salad. I had been craving salt and protein all last week and so found this recipe to put an end to it. I wanted it so badly it made me actually leave the house, get on a bus, and get groceries at Whole Foods. That, and the promise of a meal made entirely on their free samples.

Good tuna is pretty key here, so keep that in mind. Also, keep in mind that I am accepting hugs and stories. My door is open, people.

Tuna and White Bean Salad, adapted from Gourmet  | September 2003 

1 garlic clove
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 (15- to 19-oz) can cannellini or other white beans, drained and rinsed
1 (1-lb) seedless cucumber (usually plastic-wrapped), quartered lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/3-inch-thick slices
3 roma tomatoes, cut into 1 in. pieces
1/2 c. basil, roughly chopped
2 (6-oz) cans tuna packed in oil (preferably olive oil), drained

Mince garlic and mash to a paste with a pinch of salt using a large heavy knife. Whisk together garlic paste, lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a small bowl, then add oil in a slow stream, whisking until combined well. Let stand at room temperature 10 minutes.

Gently toss beans, cucumber, tomatoes, and basil with half of dressing. Transfer to a platter or bowl and arrange tuna on top, breaking up any large pieces with a fork. Drizzle remaining dressing over tuna.

No comments: